We are excited to announce the first MAE – MAT Early Career Paper Award!
This award is organised by the Medical Anthropology Europe network (MAE) within the European Association of Social Anthropologists (EASA) and the Medicine Anthropology Theory journal (MAT) to recognise and promote outstanding papers by early career scholars working in the field of medical anthropology.
We welcome submissions from early career scholars from all parts of the world. Co-authored papers are acceptable, but all authors must meet the eligibility criteria below. The winning paper will be published in MAT.
The deadline for submission is April 5, 2021.
Papers should be submitted through the MAT submission system. Please select the ‘MAE-MAT Early Career Paper’ section when submitting your paper. The winning paper will be announced by the end of May 2021 together with the other shortlisted papers. Submitted papers should be accompanied by a short cover letter (less than one page) stating that all authors meet the eligibility criteria.
- Authors should be current PhD students or be within 2 years of having obtained their PhD, with exceptions for parental leave and other caring responsibilities (please state in the cover letter).
- Papers must be primarily based on research undertaken while registered as a student and should have a strong ethnographic basis.
- Papers should be written in clear language, have a clear conceptual argument, engage with core debates and themes in medical anthropology and make an innovative contribution to the field.
- Papers should be no longer than 10,000 words including references.
- Papers should not be under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Please see MAT’s submission pages for more information on how to prepare your manuscript for anonymous review.
Members of the MAT collective will be organising a “meet the editors” online event on Tuesday 1st of December, 14:00 pm GMT, where you can ask questions regarding the award and academic publishing in general. More information and registration here.
We're looking forward to receiving your submissions!